[CMake] Parallel builds do not work correctly when using "cmake -E copy" to copy files

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Thu Dec 13 17:07:09 EST 2007

Alan W. Irwin wrote:
> So just keeping narrowly focussed on that fragment there is only one "ALL"
> custom target and ADD_DEPENDENCIES would not help since it only works on
> targets.  Thus, I doubt there is anything locally wrong with dependencies
> there.  It is possible some other dependency is making a dependency pattern
> that triggers the bug, but I should know more about that when I have a
> simpler example that triggers the bug (or not).

I was able to reproduce the problem with the code below.  It is fixed by
uncommenting the ADD_DEPENDENCIES line.  You must be putting those
output files into another target that does not depend on the
tcl_examples target.  Perhaps the make_documentation target?

-Brad

PROJECT(FOO)

FOREACH(f f1 f2 f3 f4 f5 f6 f7 f8 f9)
  LIST(APPEND DEPS ${FOO_BINARY_DIR}/${f})
  ADD_CUSTOM_COMMAND(OUTPUT ${FOO_BINARY_DIR}/${f}
    COMMAND echo ${f} > ${FOO_BINARY_DIR}/${f}
    )
ENDFOREACH(f)
ADD_CUSTOM_TARGET(examples ALL DEPENDS ${DEPS})
ADD_CUSTOM_TARGET(examples2 ALL DEPENDS ${DEPS})
#ADD_DEPENDENCIES(examples2 examples)