[CMake] Parallel builds do not work correctly when using "cmake -E copy" to copy files

Bill Hoffman bill.hoffman at kitware.com
Thu Dec 13 15:39:05 EST 2007

Alan W. Irwin wrote:

> My obvious next step is to try and make a simple CMake example that
> reliably
> reproduces the bug, but this is such an important bug (at least for those
> with access to multiprocessors who want to use parallel builds) that I
> thought the above result was worth reporting immediately since it tends to
> point the finger at something CMake is doing rather than some bug in GNU
> make.

We use -j N builds all the time at Kitware for VTK, ParaView and CMake.
  It is however, possible to create input to CMake that will not work in
a parallel environment.   A simple example would be the best way to
figure out if there is a way around the issue you are having.  One thing
you might want to look at is the add_dependancy command, and make sure
that your custom targets are built in some order.  From your email, I am
not exactly sure what targets are involved and what files are created at
what time.

-Bill