[CMake] escaping!

Sylvain Benner benner at virtools.com
Tue Dec 11 05:12:58 EST 2007

> I'm quite jaded about keeping CMakeLists.txt "simple."  As far as I'm
> concerned, it should be as simple as the level of complication of your
> build.  If I want encapsulation, I write a macro.  Otherwise I'll just
> write straight CMake script, because I'd rather read CMake script than
> the docs of 5 different Unixy tools that all do their own kind of
> regular expression processing.

I second this.
We have a pretty big project and installer generation framework using
CMake technology and it is very valuable to learn and master CMake
scripting for a long-terme development.
If everything is done with CMake you get more consistency and an easy
and natural way to get access to your framework variables.

Here is my advice:
First think about how to do it the CMake way,then if it's not doable
(which is pretty rare) do it with some other language.

"man cmake" is your best friend ;-)

--Sylvain