[CMake] Swig dependencies not being tested?

Hendrik Sattler post at hendrik-sattler.de
Mon Dec 10 04:12:56 EST 2007

Quoting "Alan W. Irwin" <irwin at beluga.phys.uvic.ca>:

> On 2007-12-10 05:33+0100 Christiaan Putter wrote:
>> I know swig support isn't all that great at the moment but was wondering if
>> someone happens to have a working Swig module for cmake that doesn't rebuild
>> every time even without the dependencies having changed.
>
> I do confirm that is a problem, and I hope somebody fixes it.

The problem only exists for FindPythonLibs.cmake, though, as the
rebuilding does not happen for Perl (once FindPerlLibs.cmake is fixed,
see bug db) or Ruby.

>> Someone else also pointed out a problem with .i files having to be in the
>> current source dir.
>
> We have never felt constrained by that limitation (in fact I was unaware of
> it) since it is possible to specify just one *.i file in the current source
> directory that then includes *.i files from elsewhere in the source tree.

I could also copy the .i file multiple times but that somewhat defeats
the purpose. I have a bug open for that.
Same goes for target naming: the output name and the cmake target name
have a too close relationsship (the former is derived from the
latter). And since the binding language is not taken into account for
the cmake target name, one practically must do that himself and then
use SET_TARGET_PROPERTIES to change the OUTPUT_NAME to something
useful. Very inconvenient.
Cmake target name should be: ${SWIG_TARGET_NAME)_${SWIG_LANGUAGE}
and output name then only derived from ${SWIG_TARGET_NAME}

HS