[CMake] Forcing vc guiids to be the same

Manuel Klimek klimek at box4.net
Thu Oct 19 02:04:57 EDT 2006

Hi,

> So the concern is that the process will take too long.  Our code base
> clocks
> in to at least 500,000 lines of code with many different projects.  I know
> KDE has successfully moved to cmake for the kdelibs so I was hoping to get
> some feedback on how much time it takes cmake to generate the resulting
> projects/solutions and/or makefiles given a large code base.

the time it takes for cmake to generate project depends on many factors:
- the number of (sub)-projects (= vcproj files)
- the total number of files in the build process
- build environment checks
- project dependent algorithms implemented in the cmake language

For our project with
- about 100 project components
- more than 1000 source files
- no extra build environment checks besides C/C++ and Qt
- lots of extra (linear to quadratic complexity) algorithms for
  dependency and build file generation
- a patched cmake that generates dependencies for sln files
  automatically (see cmake bug 3218:
  http://www.cmake.org/Bug/bug.php?op=show&bugid=3218&pos=0 )

on a already built cmake project (caches available)
the cmake run takes 12 seconds (about 8 seconds configuring,
4 seconds to generate the solution and project files)

the initial cmake run takes longer, but you technically only
need to do it once.

Cheers,
Manuel