[CMake] MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET

Axel Roebel Axel.Roebel at ircam.fr
Tue Oct 10 20:20:04 EDT 2006

On Tuesday 10 October 2006 23:20, Sean McBride wrote:
> On 2006-10-10 21:47, Axel Roebel said:
> I'm pretty sure there is no way to specify per-architecture variants of
> these things.  I believe this was discussed in bug 2492, which you may
> want to read (its long).

Thanks, I've read that. But I don't want per architecture variants.
I want to configure my build for the native architecture

> I suggest filing a bug.  I also think this would be a good feature for
> CMake to have, though personally I don't need it.
>
> I think it comes down to CMake's lack of cross-compilation support.

that's not the point. I am happy with compiling natively on each machine
and I create the universal by means of a shell script. This is no cross
compilation issue, because MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET
selects the compiler target system for the architecture of the build system

The problem is that to my knowledge the only way to communicate the
deployment target to gcc is via environment variables. I admit this is a
really strange way (probably its save to say silly) to select compiler
options, but as far as I know, this is the way it is done in Xcode. And it is
the way it is suggested by apple for makefiles

see (at the very bottom )
http://developer.apple.com/documentation/DeveloperTools/Conceptual/cross_development/Using/chapter_3_section_2.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/20002000-1114311-BABGCAAB

This means in the makefile the compiler needs to be called
as in

target :
	MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET=10.3 gcc ...

so the question would be how to achieve this.
I've the strong feeling it is not possible - is it?

--
Axel Roebel
IRCAM Analysis/Synthesis Team