[CMake] What about...

William A. Hoffman billlist at nycap.rr.com
Sun May 28 11:31:26 EDT 2006

At 10:56 AM 5/28/2006, Thomas Zander wrote:
>On Sunday 28 May 2006 15:39, James Mansion wrote:
>> >Its when I type 'make' it takes upto a minute before it actually
>> > starts with the first gcc, even if I typed make moments before. (I
>> > just typed 'make | less' this time).
>>
>> That looks like make's performance problem doesn't it?
>
>I don't see how (but I'm no expert); cmake is the one scanning the whole
>120Mb-sources project for some reason. See bug report: 2389

There are target/fast targets in the makefiles now that run without depend
checking.  They are currently only in the top level makefile, but they should
do what you want.

CMake has to make sure all the depend files exist, because make will fail
if one of them is removed.

>> Can I ask - you seem to be using command -line CMake only.  Is there a
>> reason why not to use one of the GUI apps that allow the user to
>> specify the options etc?
>I've tried ccmake; it helps a little.
>There are no other GUI tools for unix, at least none that I know of.

There is a wxWindows GUI, but it is not well tested.  ccmake is the standard
"GUI" for UNIX.

-Bill