[CMake] Re: HowTo make another Dart client likeCMake's ctest?

Matt England mengland at mengland.net
Fri Feb 24 20:28:56 EST 2006

At 2/24/2006 05:31 PM, Blezek, Daniel J \(GE, Research\) wrote:
>As I understand, your clients and servers might generate performance data
>internally;

...and lots of other things like internal unit tests, reporting back
specific internal context of an error during the toplevel of a C++
exception handling block (in a big try{} statement), tests in very
different contexts of system operations, etc etc etc.  We have a very
distributed application, and there's so many different contexts, and we
have a lot of distributed/remote control over the configurations/policies
of applications that I believe that this "Dart client embedding" is such a
natrual fit for us.

>Writing some utility classes that are easily and transparently converted
>to XML and submitted would be great.

Speaking for my project, we may not have much problem forming the XML
ourselves (with Xerces), but that remains to be seen, and a predefined C++
class may help.  We are doing it now with other things, but I'm going to
want to learn more about "XML binding" (as per Scott's previous note) such
that maybe even this can be simplified.

>I would suggest you could library-ize some of the ctest functionality that
>is built around a XML-RPC for c.

This looks pretty good to me:  <http://xmlrpc-c.sourceforge.net/>

More details here:

http://public.kitware.com/pipermail/dart/2006-February/001328.html

>   We tend to avoid Xerces like the plague and write our XML directly (do
> I hear a gasp from the XML gurus?).

Why is this?  I'd like to learn more from those seasoned from past
experience; my project may very well benefit.

>   In point of fact, Frost, an internal predecessor to Dart had such an
> API / library in Tcl and in Java.  It connected directly to the DB
> though, which is not a very good idea...

Yes, the power comes from the "loose coupling" of making, effectively, web
posts via XML-RPC from a client to a test-data collection
server.  Extremely powerful for my application.  We had a major project
planned for esssentially what Dart is...and I'm glad we didn't have to
construct the server end of this project and that we already have Dart there.

-Matt