[CMake] Looking for XML spec on Dart-client-to-server comm

Matt England mengland at mengland.net
Wed Feb 22 10:05:18 EST 2006

As per:  <http://public.kitware.com/pipermail/cmake/2006-February/008391.html>

I am interested in my C++ project embedding it's own Dart client capability
natively in its software.  The most-important thing I don't know yet (as
far as I can tell): the specification for the XML "test-case messaging" (as
I call it, because I know of no other name) to the Dart server.

** Is this Dart "test-case messaging" XML spec documented? **

Will I need to reverse-engineer a client or server to figure it out?

(An aside: my notes from my conversation with Daniel say that Dart clients
speak XML--and not just the XML-RPC conversion stuff to get over the HTTP
port, but the actual content of the message--to the Dart server.  Or maybe
I just presumed this fact.  In any case, I'm assuming that Dart
communication speaks an Dart-specific XML flavor/DTD as it's "message
content."  If not, please correct my assumption.)

Details:

I plan to build a quick prototype to research the feasibility of this for
deciding to go this route with my project.  From what I can tell, to do
this, I need 3 key things to build a prototype C++ client:

1) A C++ XML-RPC transport module

Things like http://xmlrpc-c.sourceforge.net/ seem to be quite robust and
simple, so I'm not yet concerned here.  (We routinely add modules like this
to our software base and have a standard procedure for managing the
cross-platform libraries and other artifacts from external providers.)

2) A C++ XML parser

We already extensively use Xerces-C++ 2.7 (embedded) extensively in our
code and build framework, and I expect no problems here.

3) The Dart XML "test-case messaging" spec

...as per my summary question above.

Am I missing anything?

I plan on looking through the ctest code to learn more:
http://public.kitware.com/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/Source/CTest/?root=CMake&sortby=date
If anyone cares to provide pointers through this code and/or associated
code documentation, I'd happily take it.  :)  I'll may or may not be
doxygen-ing/LXR-ing/UML-ing this stuff myself if anyone's interested.

An aside: I highly doubt that any embedded-Dart-client stuff we do will
replace ctest completely.  I'm still lean on experience with this stuff,
but I suspect we will be using ctest for general utilitarian purposes
(and/or CMake/ctest to simply build our software in a distributed fashion
it we decide to do that) regardless of what happens in a "native, embedded"
fashion with our own software.

Thanks for any help,
-Matt