[CMake] COMPILE_FLAGS suggestion

Brandon J. Van Every bvanevery at gmail.com
Thu Feb 16 17:51:19 EST 2006

Brad King wrote:
> Brandon J. Van Every wrote:
>
>> items in a PROPERTIES list have to come in pairs.  I humbly submit
>> that the following syntax would be of great use to people:
>>
>> SET_COMPILE_FLAGS(file -DBLAH -DBLLAH -DBLLAAHH)
>>

> We cannot add a command for every property.
The question is what are perceived to be the common ones.  Since you
only implemented per-target flags recently, your perception is probably
that it's uncommon.  Instead you're probably thinking that everyone
makes *.h files and subdirectories.  For those of us coming from other
build regimes, our perception is it's an exceedingly common operation.
I also question why you "can't" add a command for every property.  It
might in fact make sense to do that for many of them, i.e.
SET_WHATEVER.  I suppose time will tell as other users ask for things.

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every