[CMake] cmake license question (Was: CMake Modules)

James Mansion james at wgold.demon.co.uk
Thu Aug 31 16:55:49 EDT 2006

>Yes a GPL'd app can use a Cmake build system. The cdrecord issue is more
>about how one person is out of touch with the rest of the world on what
>the GPL says. Pay no attention to that person.

This is bull.  Paying no attention to what Joerg says is a mistake.
You might disagree with the focus of portability that caused him to
be in disagreement with particular distribution maintainers, but
he's no fool.

And 'we don't like Joerg' is *NOT* the reason why systems *claim* to
have reverted - it is indeed because he's started to licence his build
stuff under CDDL, which is a bona-fide free license, just one the FSF
doesn't like.  And it may in fact be that distributing such a build
system as part of a GPL package is inadequate.  Of course, its not
necessary to provide a makefile - a GPL'd shell script that compiles
the world each time would have done.

Stupid GPL stuff, if you ask me - but you didn't, so who cares.

James