[CMake] cmake license question (Was: CMake Modules)

Joerg Mayer jmayer at loplof.de
Wed Aug 30 11:32:59 EDT 2006

Hello List,

On Wed, Aug 30, 2006 at 04:16:00PM +0200, Andreas Schneider wrote:
> To get a module in the repository it needs to be at least under the New
> BSD License. Dual license with GPLv2 would be appreciated.

The license discussion on #cmake got me wondering:

cmake itself is 4-clause BSD license (including the advertising clause)
which is incompatible with GPLv2.

This leads to some questions:

1) What sense does it make to provide the code under GPLv2 when this
   license is incompatible to cmake anyway?

2) Can a GPLed project be built with cmake as its buildsystem? I read
   that there was a discussion about the cdrecord build system recently
   which caused at least Debian to fork the project and replace the
   non-GPL compatible build system with a gpl-compatible one (or maybe
   still incompatible).

3) Would it be possible to relicense cmake with a 3 clause bsd license
   (aka new bsd license)?

    Ciao
         Joerg
--