[Cmake] MS Project dsp regeneration

Bill Hoffman bill.hoffman at kitware.com
Mon Jan 14 11:28:43 EST 2002

At 11:01 AM 1/14/2002 -0500, Amitha Perera wrote:
>> 2. You could use the Clean and ReBuild all options on MSDeve without being
>> inundated with the "dsp file has changed on disk would you like to
>> reload?" questions.
>
>Couldn't you avoid this by actually writing the .dsp if and only if
>the contents change? For example, the DSPWriter could write to a
>temporary file, then compare the original with the new, and update the
>original only if necessary. This would give flexibility, so that you
>are prompted for reloading only when you've actually made a change
>that warrants reloading.

If I did that, it would be running cmake all the time because the target would
never be up-to-date.  However, we might be able to use the pre-link or post-build rule in
the dsp file.   It would be fired off every time, and we could write a cmake executable
that checked the time stamps on the dsp and the CMakeList.txt files that generated it,
and it could do the write only if change on the dsp file.

I guess the post-build would be the best place.  Currently, you have to build it twice
anyway, for the re-load to happen.

-Bill