[Cmake] Dependency checker, custom command, and Intel C++ compiler
Miller, James V (CRD)
millerjv at crd . ge . com
Fri, 5 Oct 2001 07:48:13 -0400
This message is in MIME format. Since your mail reader does not understand
this format, some or all of this message may not be legible.
------_=_NextPart_000_01C14D93.9D3BAE70
Content-Type: multipart/alternative;
boundary="----_=_NextPart_001_01C14D93.9D3BAE70"
------_=_NextPart_001_01C14D93.9D3BAE70
Content-Type: text/plain;
charset="iso-8859-1"
I have been having a hard time lately with CMake projects that use the Intel C++ compiler. The
problem is an "undefined symbol" encountered at link time. It always relates to a change made to a
header file in another directory. In other words, a change is made to a header file in one directory
and an xecutable that "implicity" needs that new header (i.e. it does not include the file itself but
something it includes needs the file) fails to link because it cannot find the "new" symbol.
I have had this happen when I moved a method from the protected section of a class to the private
section of a class. I have had this happen when I add an ivar to class.
This problem never occurs when the VC++ compiler is used, only when the Intel C++ compiler is used as
a drop in replacement to the VC++ compiler. Does anyone know if there is a known problem with the
DevStudio dependency checker when the Intel C++ compiler is used? Could this be a problem with
"when/how" custom commands are run?
My only recourse is to clean the entire workspace and have CMake regenerate the project files. This
is rather a pain.
Jim Miller
_____________________________________
Visualization & Computer Vision
GE Corporate Research & Development
Bldg. KW, Room C218B
P.O. Box 8, Schenectady NY 12301
millerjv at crd . ge . com < mailto:millerjv at crd . ge . com <mailto:millerjv at crd . ge . com> >
(518) 387-4005, Dial Comm: 8*833-4005,
Cell: (518) 505-7065, Fax: (518) 387-6981
------_=_NextPart_001_01C14D93.9D3BAE70
Content-Type: text/html;
charset="iso-8859-1"
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
<HTML><HEAD>
<META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type" CONTENT="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">
<META content="MSHTML 5.50.4807.2300" name=GENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY>
<DIV><SPAN class=269013611-05102001><FONT size=2>I have been having a hard time
lately with CMake projects that use the Intel C++ compiler. The problem is
an "undefined symbol" encountered at link time. It always relates to a
change made to a header file in another directory. In other words, a
change is made to a header file in one directory and an xecutable that
"implicity" needs that new header (i.e. it does not include the file itself but
something it includes needs the file) fails to link because it cannot find the
"new" symbol.</FONT></SPAN></DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=269013611-05102001><FONT size=2></FONT></SPAN> </DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=269013611-05102001><FONT size=2>I have had this happen when I
moved a method from the protected section of a class to the private section of a
class. I have had this happen when I add an ivar to
class.</FONT></SPAN></DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=269013611-05102001><FONT size=2></FONT></SPAN> </DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=269013611-05102001><FONT size=2>This problem never occurs when
the VC++ compiler is used, only when the Intel C++ compiler is used as a drop in
replacement to the VC++ compiler. Does anyone know if there is a known problem
with the DevStudio dependency checker when the Intel C++ compiler is used? Could
this be a problem with "when/how" custom commands are run?</FONT></SPAN></DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=269013611-05102001><FONT size=2></FONT></SPAN> </DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=269013611-05102001><FONT size=2>My only recourse is to clean
the entire workspace and have CMake regenerate the project files. This is
rather a pain.</FONT></SPAN></DIV><BR>
<P><B><FONT face="Comic Sans MS" color=#000080>Jim Miller</FONT></B>
<BR><B><I><FONT face=Arial color=#ff0000
size=2>_____________________________________</FONT></I></B><I></I><BR><I></I><I><FONT
face=Arial color=#000000 size=1>Visualization & Computer Vision<BR>GE
Corporate Research & Development<BR>Bldg. KW, Room C218B<BR>P.O. Box 8,
Schenectady NY 12301<BR><BR></FONT><U><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=1>millerjv at crd . ge . com <<A
href="mailto:millerjv at crd . ge . com">mailto:millerjv at crd . ge . com</A>></FONT></U></I><BR><I><FONT
face=Arial color=#000000 size=1>(518) 387-4005, Dial Comm: 8*833-4005,
</FONT></I><BR><I><FONT face=Arial color=#000000 size=1>Cell: (518) 505-7065,
Fax: (518) 387-6981</FONT></I> </P><BR>
<DIV> </DIV></BODY></HTML>
------_=_NextPart_001_01C14D93.9D3BAE70--
------_=_NextPart_000_01C14D93.9D3BAE70
Content-Type: application/octet-stream;
name="Miller, James V (CRD).vcf"
Content-Disposition: attachment;
filename="Miller, James V (CRD).vcf"
BEGIN:VCARD
VERSION:2.1
N:Miller;James
FN:Miller, James V (CRD)
ORG:CRD;ESL
TITLE:Computer Scientist
TEL;WORK;VOICE:*833-4005
TEL;WORK;VOICE:1 518 387-4005
ADR;WORK:;KW-C218B;P.O. Box 8;Schenectady;New York;12301;USA
LABEL;WORK;ENCODING=QUOTED-PRINTABLE:KW-C218B=0D=0AP.O. Box 8=0D=0ASchenectady, New York 12301=0D=0AUSA
EMAIL;PREF;INTERNET:millerjv at crd . ge . com
REV:20010420T140329Z
END:VCARD
------_=_NextPart_000_01C14D93.9D3BAE70--