[CMake-Promote] .rpm

Axel Roebel Axel.Roebel at ircam.fr
Sun May 28 13:00:45 EDT 2006

On Saturday 27 May 2006 18:01, cmake-promote-request at cmake.org wrote:
> There are plans to add RPM support to CPack which could be used to create
> rpms.   What we really need is a set of volunteers that will be the point
> person for each distribution.   I think we have a debian support person,
> that mostly keeps up with the release.  I am currently doing cygwin
> releases. (Although I still need to get 2.4.2 out to cygwin...)

That wood be cool.

> So, what is the list of distributions we want to support?
> Maybe we could create a wiki entry and put the maintainer for each
> system on it.  I would be willing to notify the folks when a new release
> comes out.

I don't know how this works normally, but I think the people that organize the
distributions would take care of that. Probably one would just need to
contact them asking them whether they are interested to include
cmake in their distribution. If I understand correctly the next version of kde
requires cmake for compilation. That means that most distributions will
include it anyway.

Then you would probably only need to send an email to inform them
of a new version. But I am sure their life would be easier if they could
simply run cpack -G rpm. This would also create an argument to switch
other packages to cmake.

For the list of distributions I would probably include

Redhat/Fedora
Suse
Ubuntu
Debian