[cmake-developers] CMake GUI "Stop" button does not halt exec_process

Venedict Tchistopolskii venytch at gmail.com
Wed Jan 16 15:27:13 EST 2019

Pressing "STOP" in the CMake GUI interface halts CMake itself but does not
stop any execute_process that is going on at the time. This makes it hang
until the process finishes, since no interrupt is sent......

Aggravating when you're using an exterior script (e.g. a .exe or .py) that
e.g. handles package maintenance. Would hang up for the entire duration of
~40 minutes unless you force kill that sub process.

I think force-killing CMake GUI also won't forward the kill to the
exec_process, orphaning it.....>.<

My reproduction:
Windows 10
CMake script via CMakeLists.txt files
Executing a Python script PyInstalled into a .exe for windows use ->
Downloads and untars some SDK's and shows progress (plus a bit more) but
takes 40-70 minutes average.

Canceling CMake won't cancel python script -> 70min hangup or requirement
to use task manage and force-kill subprocess.

Let me know any suggestions or possible fixes