[cmake-developers] The "cmake_host_system_information" Command

Taylor Holberton taylorcholberton at gmail.com
Sat Sep 1 20:50:10 EDT 2018

Hello!

I noticed, since 3.10, there's been several new additions to the query key
list of this command.
I understand the idea behind this command is to request information that is
non-trivial to access.
For example, FQDN takes a little bit longer than the others.

I think ideally, all variables could be accessed the same way - with a
${key} expansion.
Simple is better.

I found what I think is the class of a variable definition on GitHub.

https://github.com/tay10r/CMake/blob/dc70284c811a3183295371903d965658a9d2f8e0/Source/cmDefinitions.h#L44

If you generalize the class a bit more, you can create non-trivial
variables that make queries
when they are expanded. I made a gist demonstrating what I mean.

https://gist.github.com/tay10r/ba9f77008581732cc074c35a55d264e7