[cmake-developers] [CMake] dependencies of cross compiliations

Rolf Eike Beer eike at sf-mail.de
Tue Nov 27 05:28:02 EST 2018

Am 2018-11-09 10:04, schrieb Torsten Robitzki:
> Hi,
> I hope this question was not asked before. I work in the embedded
> field and there it is usually to have at least two different build
> platforms. The Host platform, where unit tests are build (and where
> CMake is running) and an embedded Target platform, where targets are
> build with a cross compiler. Sometimes such a system comes with
> self-written tools that are build and run on the Host platform to
> build a target for the embedded Target platform (adding meta data to a
> binary to be used by a bootloader for example).
>
> Usually I have two different build folders, one for the Host platform
> and one for the Target platform, using different calls to cmake to
> choose from a set of tools and targets. But when using this approach,
> it is necessary that the Host platform build ran before the Target
> platform build, so that tools that are required for the Target
> platform are build during the Host target build.
>
> One solution I’ve came up with, is to build the required tools during
> the Target platform build, using an add_custom_target() to invoke the
> Target compiler directly. This works fine, as long as the tools are
> basically build just out of a couple of files.
>
> What would be the „CMake-Way“ to add the tools (that have to be build
> on the Target platform) as dependency to targets that have to be build
> for the Target (cross compile) platform?

TL;DR: there is not "good" way yet. But there should be one.

I'm hijacking this and move it to the developers list, because that is
something "big", and we need to think about how to do that. I find it
important to correctly solve this as it would simplify a lot of things.
Especially given that Qt is thinking to use CMake to build Qt itself,
which I bet all of us would love to see. But they will be after us if we
don't offer a solution for this. And given the increasing amount of
cross-setups these days I'm sure that a lot of other people would
benefit.

My first idea was to have something like add_host_executable(), which
would only be called when this is not CMAKE_CROSSCOMPILING, but at the
end I think this clutters things too much.

Then I came up with:

   add_host_build("relative source dir" "build dir" [VARS])

This would create an entirely new CMake scope (with it's own
CMakeCache.txt and the like) in "${CMAKE_CURRENT_BUILD_DIR}/build dir",
and would not take the CMAKE_TOOLCHAIN_FILE into account. People are
free to pass "." as relative source dir in case they want to start at
top level, but they may as well pass "tools", "generators" or whatever
they call it. This is not intended to be called multiple times from the
same project as it would scan for compiler and environment once for
every call, but doing so does no harm beyond being slow(er) and the
targets of one such sub-build not being visible to the others.

My idea would be that things added by add_executable() inside such a
sub-build are visible as targets from the outer build. Other things like
libraries and the like need not to be, they can't be linked in the outer
world. The user is free to build with shared libs inside, and running
the things from the build tree would result in the correct freshly build
libs being picked up because of RPATH or whatever. There is no install
of those targets possible from the outer build, this can entirely be
managed from the host build. Of course one must be possible to set
variables on the host build, that's where VARS comes into play. This
holds a list of variable names that will be passed to the hostbuild. No
values, to avoid all sorts of quoting issues. Helpful would be a special
variable for CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX as this needs a bit of attention (and
a non-sysroot thing prefix in the toolchain file). Confused? Granted,
here is an example:

if (CMAKE_CROSSCOMPILING)
     set(HOST_INSTALL_DIR "/some/where")
     add_host_build(. host HOST_INSTALL_DIR)
endif ()
add_executable(magic magic.cpp)
install(TARGETS magic DESTINATION bin) # installs both the host and the
target tool!
add_custom_command(OUTPUT ${CMAKE_CURRENT_BUILD_DIR}/foo.cpp COMMAND
magic) # will call the host build
if (NOT CMAKE_HOST_BUILD)
     add_executable(foo ${CMAKE_CURRENT_BUILD_DIR}/foo.cpp)
     install(TARGETS foo DESTINATION bin)
endif ()

This should end up in a layout like this:

/tmp/install/prefix/tools/bin/magic.exe # Windows host
/tmp/install/prefix/sysroot/usr/bin/magic # Unix guest
/tmp/install/prefix/sysroot/usr/bin/foo

The toolchain file would look somehow like this:

set(CMAKE_HOST_PREFIX prefix
set(CMAKE_SYSROOT ${CMAKE_HOST_PREFIX}/sysroot)

and the CMake command would look like this:

cmake -D CMAKE_TOOLCHAIN_FILE=tc.cmake -D CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/usr -D
CMAKE_HOST_INSTALL_PREFIX=tools ...

The wish-season is coming up, so that's sort of what I would like to
have. Now it's your turn. No bikeshedding please, only deliveries ;)

Eike