[cmake-developers] [CMake] dependencies of cross compiliations

Eric Noulard eric.noulard at gmail.com
Mon Dec 10 03:57:24 EST 2018

Le dim. 9 déc. 2018 à 12:24, Craig Scott <craig.scott at crascit.com> a écrit :

> On Tue, Dec 4, 2018 at 6:56 PM Torsten Robitzki <Torsten at robitzki.de>
> wrote:
>
>> > Am 27.11.2018 um 19:55 schrieb Eric Noulard <eric.noulard at gmail.com>:
>> >
>> > My assumption are:
>> >  a) when you cross-compile your build is a "whole" and you shouldn't
>> have to setup some superbuild
>> >    structure for building host tools ht_exe and another for target1
>> tool t1t_exe and another one for target2 tool t2t_exe.
>> >
>> >  b) what you want is to build:
>> >      ht_exe for the host
>> >      possibly use ht_exe during the build to generate some [source] file
>> >      t1t_exe for the [cross]target1
>> >      t2t_exe for the [cross]target2
>> >
>> >  c)  you seldomly compile the same source for the host AND the target,
>> but it may happen.
>>
>> In case, you are doing unit tests, it’s normal to have the same code
>> running in a test on the host platform and in the final binary on the
>> target.
>>
>> I think, having more than 1 target platform becomes more and more normal
>> as it becomes more usual to have multiple microcontrollers in a project.

Yes that's why I thought it was worth going further than host + target, but
host + tgt1 + tg2 + ....

>> Previously, I have encoded this in the build type. So instead of just
>> having Debug and Release, I had HOST_Debug, HOST_Release NRF51_Debug,
>> NRF51_Release, STM8_Debug, STM8_Release and so on. It doesn’t annoy me very
>> much, that I have to run CMake 3 times to get all the binaries for a
>> release build. The problem that I have, are dependencies between this
>> builds. If I write a tool that (for example) generates source files for one
>> of the target platforms, the build for the host platform must run before
>> the build for that target platform. And when I make changes to that tool, I
>> want the build to regenerate the generated source files.
>>
>> Keeping track of this dependencies to solve this kind of ordering issues
>> and to allow minimum rebuilds, is the main purpose of any build system. To
>> solve this with CMake, I think we need a way to define the dependencies
>> between build types (in the example above, from the generator from the host
>> build to the generated source file in one of the target builds) and CMake
>> needs to know the build directory for all build types (not only the
>> current).
>>

> Perhaps a superbuild would be the cleanest approach here? The host tools
> would be one subproject and the cross-compile builds would depend on the
> host tools' build. You could then choose to build everything via the top
> level superbuild or just work on one of the subprojects if that's all you
> needed once the initial tools build had been done. You could even set up as
> many different sub-projects for the different architectures as needed.
> Packaging would require a little more work, but it shouldn't be
> prohibitively so.

I guess the tough part is to find a [light] way to specify dependencies
between host target build and the various target builds.

> Another alternative is the approach described in this stackoverflow
> article
> <https://stackoverflow.com/questions/36084785/building-a-tool-immediately-so-it-can-be-used-later-in-same-cmake-run>
> which performs the host tools build off to the side in a secondary build
> during configure. This works well when the host tools don't change much (we
> use it extensively at work with very large, complex hierarchical projects).
> It wouldn't help though if you need to build more than one cross-compiled
> architecture.
>
> > The wish-season is coming up, so that's sort of what I would like to
>> > have. Now it's your turn. No bikeshedding please, only deliveries ;)
>>
>> How about ``add_dependencies()`` allowing me to define dependencies
>> between different build types? :-)
>>

> A superbuild would already give you the equivalent capability.

Not as easy as it seems right?
I bet you know it well as you listed the dependencies shortcoming of adding
dependencies for External_ProjectAdd in your book (§27.1.4).

--
Eric