[cmake-developers] RfD: deprecate link_directories() and link_libraries()

Rolf Eike Beer eike at sf-mail.de
Mon Aug 20 13:15:38 EDT 2018

Am Montag, 20. August 2018, 19:10:57 CEST schrieb Brad King:
> On 08/15/2018 01:30 PM, Rolf Eike Beer wrote:
> > My dislike against these functions is probably known, and now I would like
> > to bring this to a new level: I would like to formally deprecate these
> > functions. I don't think they serve any useful purpose anymore, given
> > that now even the pkg-config module can (and does) return absolute paths
> > to the libraries.
> What harm does their presence cause?
>
> Please ask on the user list to see if people are using them.
>
> I suspect they may be used by some projects to link to special runtime
> libraries when cross-compiling.  We'd need to make sure there is a
> better way for all such use cases before deprecating the commands.

I have only seen this commands in failed attempts to convert Makefiles to
CMake without using the proper methods of calling find_library(). And then
showing up here or in #cmake and complaining that it breaks.

So, has anyone an example where these are still needed with CMake 3.12 for
anything that _can't_ be done properly?

Eike