[cmake-developers] Enabling SSL support by default when building CMake from source

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Thu Aug 9 09:18:18 EDT 2018

On 08/09/2018 08:54 AM, Craig Scott wrote:
> or is it just that the logic hasn't been added to try to enable
> it by default if available?

Mostly that.

On Windows and macOS we already get SSL by default because curl
just uses the OS-provided APIs.  This issue occurs only when we
need to find OpenSSL.

Since commit v3.6.0-rc1~301^2 (Automatically use OpenSSL by default
on Linux and FreeBSD if available, 2016-02-26) we try to enable
SSL by default on Linux and FreeBSD.  Its commit message explains
why we didn't do that for other platforms (too easy to find an
OpenSSL library that is not compatible with the target compiler).
A sophisticated try_compile may be needed to determine whether
enabling it will compile and link properly.