[cmake-developers] Make it easier for beginners

Wesley Smith wesley.hoke at gmail.com
Wed Oct 25 19:49:10 EDT 2017

I agree that if you do a search for how to setup a project with cmake, it's
hard to know what's best practice.  As cmake has evolved, the best practice
has changed and many old style techniques still return toward the top of
search results.  For me, the best resources have been:

http://preshing.com/20170522/learn-cmakes-scripting-language-in-15-minutes/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsXLMQ6WgIk

I still don't understand the scoped syntax in Daniel Pfeifer's talk (e.g.
boost::boost).  And CPack was really opaque to me until I bought the cmake
book.  I wish there were better tutorials on CPack and on how to write
cmake scripts that play well as dependencies on other projects using cmake.

wes