[cmake-developers] Java language support regression (compared with 3.7.x and 3.8.x) for 3.9.0

Alan W. Irwin irwin at beluga.phys.uvic.ca
Tue Jul 25 20:48:46 EDT 2017

On 2017-07-25 15:00-0700 Alan W. Irwin wrote:

> I was hoping some CMake developer here could remember a fairly recent
> language support infrastructure change in the run-up to 3.9.0 that is
> likely causing this issue, and better yet could immediately think of
> the Java language support changes that would need to be made to be
> consistent with that hypothesized language support infrastructure
> change.  But if nobody gets back to me on that question soon, then I
> will go ahead and do a git bisect to help find the commit where the
> Java language support issue first showed up.

Oops.

I discovered during the initial stages of that git bisect process that
3.8.0-rc4 is bad while 3.7.2 is good when using the latest git master
branch version of PLplot. That result surprised me (since I do recall
testing 3.8.0-rc4/ without issues), So my testing of 3.8.0-rc4 may not
have included java or some PLplot change between that test and now may
be affecting this good/bad result (although I think that is fairly
unlikely because I don't recall any specific java-related PLplot
changes during that period),

Anyhow, I am now bisecting between CMake 3.7.2 and 3.8.0-rc4 using a
consistent PLplot version (the tip of our master branch) that is quite
well tested for CMake-3.7.2.  And if anyone here is attempting to
remember relevant language support changes, you should be thinking
about the period between 3.7.2 and 3.8.0-rc4.

More later on those git bisect results when that process is completed.

Alan
Alan W. Irwin