[cmake-developers] Java language support regression (compared with 3.7.x and 3.8.x) for 3.9.0

Eric Noulard eric.noulard at gmail.com
Tue Jul 25 05:07:46 EDT 2017

> I have built CMake-3.9.0 on my Linux (Debian Jessie) platform using
> the bootstrap method I have always successfully used for other CMake
> versions (including 3.7.2).
>
> For a complex project (PLplot) which uses swig_add_module and
> swig_link_libraries to implement our Java binding, I get the following
> error message at the end of that CMake-3.9.0 output.
>
> -- Configuring done
> CMake Error: Error required internal CMake variable not set, cmake may
> not be built correctly.
> Missing variable is:
> CMAKE_Java_CREATE_SHARED_MODULE
> -- Generating done
> -- Build files have been written to:
> /home/software/plplot/HEAD/build_dir
>
> I don't get this error message for CMake-3.7.2.
>
> Using find and xargs -0 grep I have looked in both 3.7.2 and 3.9.0
> source code for any mention of CMAKE_Java_CREATE_SHARED_MODULE, and it
> just does not exist.
>
> By the way, I have tried the following simple project.
>
> cmake_minimum_required(VERSION 3.6.2 FATAL_ERROR)
> project(test_java NONE)
> enable_language(Java)
> message(STATUS "CMAKE_Java_CREATE_SHARED_MODULE =
> ${CMAKE_Java_CREATE_SHARED_MODULE}")

I'm curious with that.
I do currently use UseJava.cmake module
https://cmake.org/cmake/help/v3.7/module/UseJava.html
for building some java bits in a globally C++ project.

I never tried  enable_language(Java)
what is the status of Java support as a primary language?

I tried to find informations about that in the doc and mailing list but
didn't find much.

Could someone please point me to the appropriate place concerning this?

--
Eric