[cmake-developers] Debugger for CMake

Tobias Hunger tobias.hunger at gmail.com
Tue Jan 31 02:26:17 EST 2017

On Jan 30, 2017 20:03, "Sylvain Joubert" <joubert.sy at gmail.com> wrote:

> c) What is the best

> approach to make this kind of feature appealing to IDE / UI tools which
> currently work with CMake?

If I recall correctly, one of the initial use cases for the server mode was
exactly that. The very first prototype of Stephen Kelly had this feature
and could trace were a variable was last modified, make a diff of the CMake
state between two locations in a CMake script,...

I liked the snapshots that were in Stephen Kelly's daemon-mode patch much
better than an interactive debugger.

Those much easier to use and visualize for an IDE than having an
interactive debugger. And they make much more sense IMHO: You can see state
and how that changes in every line instead of just the current one.

I didn't look at your code and I'll let the server mode maintainers give
their feedback too but I guess the best way to go would be to jump in
server mode to add that. Besides, the server mode is especially designed to
be IDE friendly.

I want to add support for snapshots as soon as they are available in cmake.

Is somebody working on the snapshot infrastructure? That is way too deep in
core cmake components for me to feel comfortable to implement. I will of
course happily write the code to integrate that into server mode:-)

Best Regards,
Tobias