[cmake-developers] Recording compiler features for older gcc versions

Rolf Eike Beer eike at sf-mail.de
Sun Jan 29 06:56:10 EST 2017

Am Montag, 9. Januar 2017, 10:59:13 schrieb Rolf Eike Beer:
> I need for several projects the ability to set CMAKE_C_STANDARD on older
> compilers, at least gcc 4.2, but preferably also down to gcc 3.4. I have
> them available, so testing is not the issue. But there are some problems
> besides "just record them".
>
> The problems that I know of:
>
> -WriteCompilerDetectionHeader last time had problems when the features for
> the compiler were recorded only for C for a given version, i.e. I can't
> just tell CMake "gcc 3.4ff. know about C99" without also recording C++
> features for that versions

This is actually not true. What happens is that the testcases assume that when
one of them is set, the other one is set, too. This is also what is causing
the current test breakage. I'll come up with a patch shortly, but maybe not
today. The solution is easy: sort the subtests in the CMakeLists.txt and check
for both variables independently.

Eike