[cmake-developers] Eclipse CDT Managed build

Ben Boeckel ben.boeckel at kitware.com
Wed Jan 25 11:27:24 EST 2017

On Wed, Jan 25, 2017 at 15:45:33 +0000, Bøe, Sebastian wrote:
> Not modifying the CMakeListst.txt is acceptable for this use-case.
>
> But not being able to share, or relocate, the build tree is a problem.
>
> Would support for relocatable build trees need major changes throughout
> CMake, or is this primarily a property of the generator?

It'd need lots of changes. CMake generally uses absolute paths to the
source tree and sometimes to the build tree (I forget the cases where it
does, but that is somewhat generator-dependent). At least one is for the
Makefiles generator where it embed absolute paths in its `cd` commands
before running the compiler. It would likely not be trivial to get CMake
to generate relocatable builds.

--Ben