[cmake-developers] Requesting Advice: Installing object files

Chris Bieneman chris.bieneman at me.com
Tue Jan 17 17:25:40 EST 2017

Hello CMake-developers!

In one of the LLVM sub-projects we have a problem where we need to install object files, which doesn't seem like a particularly easy task. I'm curious if anyone has any advice on how to approach this problem.

The patch is currently being reviewed here:
https://reviews.llvm.org/D28791 <https://reviews.llvm.org/D28791>

Since the object files have fairly simple compile commands our current approach is to compile the files in custom commands, then use install(FILES...). This is workable, but I'm wondering if there is a better way. They do need to be object files, static archives would not work because these specially named files are handled by linkers and other tools that we don't control.

Thank you!
-Chris