[cmake-developers] [Discussion] Add python support for CMakeLists

Jean-Michaël Celerier jeanmichael.celerier at gmail.com
Thu Jan 12 12:28:23 EST 2017

(My simple user opinion):

I'm not a fan of the idea.
Not particularly because of Python, but because with this, now
if I want to use a library that someone made with a CMakeLists.py in my
project
(for instance as a submodule) :
* I also have to install Python on the machines where the build happens,
* tell my users to install Python,
* add it to their PATH...

Many already have trouble just installing and running CMake, and this adds
another
potential layer of complexity, and a fragmentation of the ecosystem.
Unless CMake would ship with its own Python interpreter ?

I know, this is a non-problem on Linux and OS X (or is it ? On my machine
/usr/bin/python is python 3 but on others it is python 2),
but there are some poor people out there stuck with Windows machines, and I
wouldn't like their lives to be even harder.

Best regards
Jean-Michaël