[cmake-developers] #16633: make CTestTestfile.cmake output dir possible to control

Giel van Schijndel giel at mortis.eu
Tue Feb 14 10:54:36 EST 2017

On Tue, Feb 14, 2017 at 08:23:58 -0500, Brad King wrote:
> On 02/13/2017 10:00 AM, Giel van Schijndel wrote:
>> I've written it as a reStructuredText document here [2].
>> [2]: https://gitlab.kitware.com/muggenhor/cmake/blob/ctest-alt-dir/Help/ctest_alt_dir.rst
>
> Thanks for the nice write-up!

Thanks for reading it, I'm glad that you appreciate it.

>> From the doc:
>> generate a relative path from the CTestTestfile.cmake to that target. Not an absolute one.
>
> I don't recall whether CTest currently defines behavior for a relative path
> found in an add_test call within a CTestTestfile.cmake.  We will need to
> check and define behavior as needed.  Such a change would be something to
> do in a preparatory step.

I think it may be easier to do this inside CMake by generating the "new"
form of the add_test() command in the produced CTestTestfile.cmake. From
some experiments I've got the impression that that's always executed
with paths relative to the directory containing the CTestTestfile.cmake.
Although I only tested without setting the WORKING_DIRECTORY test
property, I'm not sure how or if that property could work in this
context.

>> SUBDIRS(${CTEST_OUTPUT_DIRECTORY})
>
> Yes, we'll need exactly one of these when at least one test used the
> CTEST_OUTPUT_DIRECTORY property.  IIUC, tests without that property
> will just stay in the CMAKE_CURRENT_BINARY_DIR's CTestTestfile.

I covered the "exactly one" bit with this bit:
> ensuring no equivalent call is already present

As for tests without that property, it was indeed my intention to leave
them in the "default" (CMAKE_CURRENT_BINARY_DIR's) CTestTestfile.cmake.

--
Met vriendelijke groet,
With kind regards,