[cmake-developers] C++11 all features available?

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Mon Aug 21 10:04:28 EDT 2017

On 08/21/2017 09:53 AM, Sebastian Holtermann wrote:
> it looks like C++11 is now a requirement for CMake itself.

Yes.  We just merged this:

  https://gitlab.kitware.com/cmake/cmake/merge_requests/1132

but you beat us to the announcement.

> But does this mean *all* the nice features from the std library can be used?

Not all.  We're still limited by some of the older C++11 compilers.
We'll have to see how things go on nightly builds.  As limitations
are found they can be documented in `Help/dev/source.rst`.

We will require std::unique_ptr at least.

>  - std::array

I think so but haven't tried it.

>  - std::basic_regex (and friends)

We still support GCC 4.8.  IIRC its standard library doesn't have
the implementations in place.

>  - std::thread (and friends)

No, at least not yet.  For now we're using libuv's thread primitives
instead.  Either way anything that needs to build during bootstrap
may not be able to use this.

>  - std::atomic_flag

Not sure.