[cmake-developers] Future of ccmake and cmake-gui

Ben Boeckel ben.boeckel at kitware.com
Thu Aug 17 08:46:07 EDT 2017

On Wed, Aug 16, 2017 at 23:02:52 +0200, Jean-Michaël Celerier wrote:
> @Ben Boeckel :
> > The idea for process creation is to migrate to libuv once all of the
> dependencies are supported.
> Quick question : why not asio instead ? it's bound to end up in the
> standard library at some point (e.g.
> https://github.com/chriskohlhoff/networking-ts-impl) and already has an
> event loop.

CMake uses curl for networking (all sync), but libuv was added for the
server mode's event loop. It also comes with process execution, some
filesystem helpers and other things that kwsys does today that we can
drop once we move to it. AFAICT, asio looks like it's mostly a
networking library and doesn't overlap well with libuv and CMake's
requirements.

> Or even Qt's event loop since it's already here.

Qt isn't required by core CMake, just cmake-gui.

--Ben