[cmake-developers] Future of ccmake and cmake-gui

Daniel Pfeifer daniel at pfeifer-mail.de
Tue Aug 15 16:33:04 EDT 2017

Hi,

With !977 merged, it is possible to base ccmake and cmake-gui on top of the
cmake server.
For demonstration, I copied the contents of the Source/CursesDialog
directory and added a proxy implementation of the classes `cmake` and
`cmState`. The result is 100% compatible with `ccmake`. The same would be
possible with cmake-gui.

Shall we proceed in this direction?

To make the server available everywhere, we should backport the code from
C++14 to C++11. I think this is limited to replacing `std::make_shared`.

For cmake-gui, the proxies could use Qt functionality (QProcess,
QJsonDocument, etc.). As a result, cmake-gui would not have any build
dependencies apart from Qt.

It might be worth considering to move ccmake and cmake-gui to their own
repositories.

Cheers, Daniel