[cmake-developers] Where execute_process INPUT_CONTENT or INPUT_VARIABLE?

Daniel Pfeifer daniel at pfeifer-mail.de
Mon Apr 24 10:09:14 EDT 2017

On Mon, Apr 24, 2017 at 3:03 PM, Brad King <brad.king at kitware.com> wrote:

> On 04/23/2017 01:30 AM, Konstantin Podsvirov wrote:
> > Where execute_process INPUT_CONTENT or INPUT_VARIABLE?
> >
> > This would be very convenient for a small input.
> >
> > Why should I always write a file for input?
>
> I agree that the options should be there but they can't be easily
> implemented without choosing our own temporary file which will have
> its own problems.
>
> The reason is that our internal process execution implementation
> does not support communication from the parent on stdin.  Fixing
> that is not something I'm prepared to do or even accept as a
> contribution because I'd rather migrate to libuv than extend our
> own process management implementation further.

Brad, can you share what the current status is on this? If I remember
correctly, then libuv cannot be built yet on all necessary compilers. Is
that still the case? This sounds like the biggest impediment. Once we can
rely on libuv, we can also use it for filesystem operations. This would
help solve issues like #13162.

Cheers, Daniel