[cmake-developers] Where execute_process INPUT_CONTENT or INPUT_VARIABLE?

Alan W. Irwin irwin at beluga.phys.uvic.ca
Sun Apr 23 03:01:29 EDT 2017

On 2017-04-23 08:30+0300 Konstantin Podsvirov wrote:

> Where execute_process INPUT_CONTENT or INPUT_VARIABLE?
>
> This would be very convenient for a small input.
>
> Why should I always write a file for input?

Hi Konstantin:

I assume that last sentence refers to using the CMake FILE command
directly to write the required file at cmake time in the build tree
(as opposed to having to create an actual permanent file in the source
tree to be used directly or as a prototype for a configured file in
the build tree)?  If so, I use that approach quite a bit in various
build systems I have helped to develop to help drastically reduce the
number of small CMake-related files in the source tree.  And I far
prefer that approach to what you seem to be asking for above which is
some added syntax variation to EXECUTE_PROCESS to provide the same
ability that the FILE command currently has.

Note, I had to make some assumptions when answering you, and my
apologies in advance if I have misinterpreted anything you said
above.

Alan
Alan W. Irwin