[cmake-developers] Proposal to disable link depends inference.

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Tue Apr 11 11:16:19 EDT 2017

On 04/11/2017 09:34 AM, Matthew Hanna (BLOOMBERG/ 731 LEX) wrote:
> The inference logic in cmComputeLinkDepends.cxx is both inefficient and
> superfluous for our specific use case. I am proposing a global setting that
> would disable the link computation entirely for those that wish to take full
> responsibility of the ordering of dependencies.

IIUC you're not talking about disabling the entire dependency analysis
but instead just turning off the magic guessing of implicit dependencies
based on observed order.  Correct?

Before we bikeshed the name and form of the setting, can you post a patch
that just removes the logic outright so we can see exactly what you mean?