[cmake-developers] Downloading file from S3 private bucket

Ruslan Baratov ruslan_baratov at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 13 07:42:52 EDT 2016

Hi,

Currently I'm investigating possibilities of downloading files from
private S3 bucket using CMake. The only real issue I see for now is the
computing of HMAC + SHA1. This look like a work for some new
cryptographic module in family of 'string' functions similar to
'string(MD5|SHA1|...)'. So if we are talking about new command
'string(HMAC SHA1)' what will be the right path to implement it?  I took
a brief look at hashing functions and it seems that it was not using
OpenSSL (what I was thinking before). Will it be okay if CMake will
optionally depend on OpenSSL? Or other third party crypto library?

Also I know that it's possible to use Query String Request
Authentication.  It means I can create URL with key and signature in
query part first, then put it into file(DOWNLOAD) command. However HMAC
+ SHA1 in CMake itself offer more opportunities and sounds more solid
for me.

Thoughts?

Ruslo