[cmake-developers] [CMake] Setup/tear down steps for CTest

Craig Scott craig.scott at crascit.com
Thu Sep 8 10:15:17 EDT 2016

I should also point out that another reason for not implementing the
"skipping tests if the setup fails logic" relates to the current behaviour
of DEPENDS. At the moment, if test B depends on test A, test B still
executes if test A fails. This is both useful and unexpected at the same
time. It is unexpected because I'd initially have thought of DEPENDS as
meaning I can't run test B if test A fails, after all, B depends on A which
I'd interpret to mean if A fails, then something B requires isn't working.
Conversely, this is also useful because until now, DEPENDS was the only way
to get cleanup functionality to run after other tests, and if those other
tests fail, we still want the cleanup to occur.

Current behaviour of DEPENDS can't change because there would be too much
out there in the wild relying on the existing behaviour. I'm wondering if
there's merit in adding a DEPENDS_ON_SUCCESS test property or something
similar which would implement the perhaps more intuitive behaviour of not
running dependent tests when a dependee fails. If that was done, then
implementing the "don't run fixture tests if any fixture setup fails" logic
would be trivial.

--
Craig Scott
Melbourne, Australia