[cmake-developers] FastBuild Generator

Charles Huet charles.huet at gmail.com
Tue Oct 11 04:27:34 EDT 2016

> It works with Ninja for me.  Are you building CMake out-of-source?
Yes.
The complete list of commands I used is (from a clean build dir):
cmake ..\CMake -G Ninja -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Debug
ninja
ctest -V -R CheckSourceTree

In a MSVC2012 x64 command prompt.
I used the installed CMake to both configure and test.

the last message is :
 CMake Error at CheckSourceTreeTest.cmake:355 (message):
   test fails: local source tree non-additions: use git add before
committing,
   or remove the files from the source tree

>I don't understand what you mean.

Like most CMake tests, the SimpleInstall test contains a CMakeLists, so the
ctest process runs cmake and builds the test.
This test has a custom_command which does 'cmake --build', so when you run
the test, the build tool will call 'camke --build', which starts the build
tool again, in the same folder hierarchy.

This is not supported by fastbuild. Since it is highly paralellized, it
uses a lock file to check if an instance is already running, in order to
avoid all the common problems you would encounter by having two instances
doing read/writes to its local database (for instance for its caching
mechanism).

Thus I am wondering how I can get this test to pass.