[cmake-developers] CMAKE_SHARED_LIBRARY_LINK_${lang}_FLAGS and CMP0065

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Thu Oct 6 14:45:15 EDT 2016

On 10/06/2016 02:06 PM, Stephen Kelly wrote:
>> One could rename the variable in our own platform files
>> but would have to also honor the old name just in case.
>
> That wouldn't be a rename.

Sure it would.  All the places that set the variable would have a new
more understandable name.  We would just leave undocumented support for
reading the old name if it is set and otherwise use the new name.
Actually since this is an internal variable I'd be okay with renaming
it without compatibility, so long as it is easy to add support for the
old name back in if it becomes a problem in the future.  Or, we could
even rename support for the old name and then add a commit to remove
the support.  That would provide a commit that is easy to revert to
restore support.

>>> out of place in cmLocalGenerator. If it were returned from cli.GetItems,
>>
>> Yes, it could be moved.
>
> Ok. I might look into that.

It looks like OutputLinkLibraries currently puts the flag in the
linkLibs (which goes to the <LINK_LIBRARIES> placeholder) but it
would more sensibly be located in the linkFlags (which goes to
the <LINK_FLAGS> placeholder).  If we do clean this up it should
be moved to <LINK_FLAGS>.  Therefore it should not go in GetItems,
but instead in a separate helper that all generators can share.