[cmake-developers] CMake API for warnings

Geoffrey Viola Geoffrey.Viola at asirobots.com
Mon Mar 28 01:49:16 EDT 2016

Thanks for the feedback. I'll have to look more in-depth at Xcode specific issues.

> Take a look at this approach:
> * https://github.com/ruslo/sugar/wiki/Cross-platform-warning-suppression
I took a look at your repository. It's very sophisticated. The API that I'm supporting has global commands for simple, small projects and then a slightly more sophisticated set of commands around targets and source files. It's supposed to remove the need of knowing compiler specific flags from the user, although they can be manually edited in CMake as always.

The choice of flags for the various compilers are different between the two APIs. My API merely turns the warnings up without triggering false positives. It may miss some useful warnings. For example, my API uses /W4 instead of /Wall for MSVC. I've seen /Wall provide some additional useful warnings, but also some distracting, informational ones. There are a few users who agree that some of the /Wall warnings are more informational at http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4001736/whats-up-with-the-thousands-of-warnings-in-standard-headers-in-msvc-wall. Also, I should probably include -Wextra for the GCC warnings like yours does.