[cmake-developers] [CMake 0016027]: nvcc encloses -ccbin argument with gratuitous quotation marks during intermediate-link phase

Mantis Bug Tracker mantis at public.kitware.com
Mon Mar 21 17:06:39 EDT 2016

The following issue has been SUBMITTED.
https://public.kitware.com/Bug/view.php?id=16027
Reported By:                Eyal Rozenberg
Assigned To:
Project:                    CMake
Issue ID:                   16027
Category:                   Modules
Reproducibility:            sometimes
Severity:                   minor
Date Submitted:             2016-03-21 17:06 EDT
I've been using CMake on Debian Stretch with CUDA. I'm not sure what the version
was until recently, but everything worked fine for me. Then I started getting
errors such as:

"/usr/local/cuda/bin/gcc": No such file or directory
CMakeFiles/tester.dir/build.make:2335: recipe for target
'CMakeFiles/wherever/foo.o' failed

The culprit seems to be /usr/share/cmake/Modules/FindCUDA.cmake, line 1554.
Pseudo-patch:

-      list(APPEND nvcc_flags -ccbin "\"${CUDA_HOST_COMPILER}\"")
+      list(APPEND nvcc_flags -ccbin "${CUDA_HOST_COMPILER}")

that resolves the issue.

Steps to Reproduce:
1. export CC=/link/to/your/appropriate/gcc
2. cmake a project with CMakeList.txt which finds CUDA and with
set(CUDA_SEPARABLE_COMPILATION ON)
3. Build the project

The .cu files will compile, the intermediate-link phase won't pass

Issue History
Date Modified    Username       Field                    Change