[cmake-developers] CMake aliasing system

Ruslan Baratov ruslan_baratov at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 14 11:22:18 EDT 2016

On 14-Mar-16 21:59, Brad King wrote:
> On 03/12/2016 08:04 AM, Ruslan Baratov via cmake-developers wrote:
>> I guess it is a well known fact that cmake command is almost never
>> executed alone and for non-trivial examples usually hold some extra
>> arguments (home directory, build directory, verbosity level, toolchains,
>> options, ...). Also I guess that such commands doesn't change from
>> day-to-day development process and an obvious way to reduce typing is to
>> create wrapper build scripts (.bat or .sh, I personally use a Python one).
> Sorry, I don't think something like this belongs upstream.  It can easily
> be done with shell aliases or other custom scripts.
I've got quite opposite experience. It's hard to say that family of
custom scripts (+ a lot of environment variables in .bashrc)  is an
"easy shell scripting", example:
*
https://github.com/ruslo/polly/blob/162cd157d1d05261a7a708435197d883c4209005/bin/build.py

>    We shouldn't increase the complexity of the CMake command line interface further.
To be clear this feature required only one new CMake option. The rest is
responsibility of some pre-build parsing module.

In general I feel sad that CMake will not became more user-friendly in
this exact part. Though the only proves of my point that can be provided
here is a users experience. Since I don't see any feedback here I'm out
of arguments...

Ruslo