[cmake-developers] Appending to LINK_FLAGS property of a target doesn't seem to work correctly

Nils Gladitz nilsgladitz at gmail.com
Fri Mar 4 06:52:21 EST 2016

On 03/04/2016 12:42 PM, Dan Liew wrote:
> Thanks for this. Shouldn't the fact that ``LINK_FLAGS`` is a string
> property and not a list property be in the ``cmake-properties``
> documentation? The version of the documentation for my version of
> CMake (3.4.3) doesn't say what the property type is.

Perhaps though the plain string properties predate the list properties
which is probably why the documentation does it the other way around e.g.
https://cmake.org/cmake/help/v3.4/prop_dir/COMPILE_OPTIONS.html is
documented explicitly as a list property.

COMPILE_OPTIONS deprecated the old COMPILE_FLAGS property (which was
plain string based).
For LINK_FLAGS the same thing was supposed to happen at some point but
the topic working on this seems to have stalled.

Nils