[cmake-developers] adding FindJsonCpp

Chuck Atkins chuck.atkins at kitware.com
Wed Jun 29 09:40:08 EDT 2016

> The library builds using CMake and rather than using more code to find
> itself, it should instead create a package configuration file which
> contains the exact information CMake needs to use its install tree. See
> the docs:
>

> https://cmake.org/cmake/help/latest/manual/cmake-packages.7.html#creating-packages
>
> Please consider contributing such support to the upstream project.

It already does.  There used to be a FindJsonCpp.cmake module but it was
dropped from the install once the project started generating package
configs.  See CMake commit
https://gitlab.kitware.com/cmake/cmake/commit/a5768442636c7fe909e8afc205fd19ac13b9fbc2

Unfortunately, the cmake package generation is disabled by default.  On top
of that, it supports both cmake and scons and it seems like most
distributions build their packages from scons.  Both of these make it
incredibly unlikely that the upstream package config will be available in
an install even though it's provided by the project.

Given these issues, how about we "bring back" the FindJsonCpp module, and
alter it to explicitly look for the package config first.  It's still in
the Modules tree and is actually used by CMake to build itself, it'd just
not installed.

Thoughts?

- Chuck