[cmake-developers] daemon-mode meeting last Tuesday

Daniel Pfeifer daniel at pfeifer-mail.de
Fri Jun 24 03:59:01 EDT 2016

On Thu, Jun 23, 2016 at 2:27 PM, Tobias Hunger <Tobias.Hunger at qt.io> wrote:
>   * We both think it only makes sense to merge the infrastructure part into
>     cmake (if it passes review first of course) once we have some functionality
>     that is genuinely useful. So we want to aim at having the infrastructure
>     and the codemodel merged in one go.

Please think about adding libuv earlier. As Brad wrote before, libuv
could replace some #ifdef code that we currently have (process
handling, file operations). I am currently refactoring the code around
the cmOutputConverter and I would like to introduce a cmPath class (I
will write more about that later, but I can already say that libuv
might come handy for some functionality).

>   2.7 cache (report contents of CMakeCache.txt file)
>
>   * Review by other potential users would be appreciated, but no obvious
>     problems seen.

Is this needed? If the CMakeCache.txt file continues to be written,
clients could just parse that file. If clients want to make changes
(ie. cache editors), they can rewrite the file. Is that a problem? I
assume it is, because CMake needs to reconfigure when it rereads it.
In that case, the server should provide a way to report the contents,
but also ways to modify it.

Cheers, Daniel

PS: Next meeting in a Biergarten in Munich?