[cmake-developers] CMake 32 and 64 bit packages on Windows

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Mon Jun 20 10:18:07 EDT 2016

On 06/18/2016 08:12 AM, Stephen Kelly wrote:
> I tried the CMake 3.6 RC on Windows yesterday. I initially downloaded the 64
> bit version, and the installer uninstalled my CMake 3.5 (32 bit).

This is because the MSI package records only a single package name for
all CMake versions.  Each installation is assumed to replace any existing
installation of the same package.  Linux distro package tools do the same
thing.  One can use the .zip files to have independent versions not managed
by a package system.

> Then, in my 'Visual Studio 14 2015 64 bit command prompt', the cmake
> executable was no longer found.

The type of prompt should make no difference.  The installer provides
an option for adding the CMake installation to your system PATH.  MSI
takes care of reversing effects of the removed installation, so that
may have removed it from your PATH.