[cmake-developers] daemon-mode: Project structure

Stephen Kelly steveire at gmail.com
Mon Jun 13 15:12:27 EDT 2016

Tobias Hunger wrote:
>> * Designing a protocol like this is hard (and not fast)
>
> We have been discussing this for about two years now.

That's a misleading thing to say.

Time since an effort or discussion started has never been a guideline for
when something is ready for CMake master.

> I see no problem there: You can always cut out old protocols if their
> implementation hurts too much. That sucks for users that need the old
> version, but it can be cleanly detected.

I think you underestimate the cost of supporting old versions and the
benefit of exploring the design space to get it as right as possible the
first time (exploring the design space isn't the same as giving IDE
developers votes).

I suggest switching gears and designing the initial protocol handshake and
version negotiation, and come back to this buildsystem description part of
the protocol later.

Designing the how versioning the protocol works can include design and
discussion of end of support for particular protocol versions (how many
years/releases it will be deprecated for before being removed etc). That is
the first part that would get merged to master anyway.