[cmake-developers] cmCacheManager related changes

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Mon Jun 13 10:16:46 EDT 2016

On 06/10/2016 02:13 PM, Stephen Kelly wrote:
> Things which do change in such a way should be accessed through
> cmState::Snapshot, or classes which depend on cmState::Snapshot such as
> cmState::Directory for directory properties, or some day cmState::Target for
> target properties. That way those properties can be versioned.

Thanks for explaining, Steve.

> It is true that some existing things in cmState should not be there
> (commands, cache properties etc). You can consider whether now is the time
> to move the cache property access to cmState::Snapshot (even without
> versioning internally) instead of adding more methods related to cache
> properties to cmState directly.

Tobias's change is just an update to the cache properties that are
already exposed directly, so I think it is fine to merge it now.
The added method can be subsumed into the refactoring to move it
into Snapshot.

Steve, would you please add comments to cmState.h to explain the
above and also mark the method groups that currently violate the
design with FIXME comments?