[cmake-developers] RFC: LLVM community CMake documentation

Ben Boeckel ben.boeckel at kitware.com
Thu Jun 9 11:36:20 EDT 2016

On Thu, Apr 28, 2016 at 14:16:40 -0700, Chris Bieneman wrote:
> The only comment I think I didn’t directly update the document for was
> Dan’s comment about GLOBAL properties. I kinda have mixed feelings
> about GLOBAL properties. I know why we use them, but I’m not sure I
> want to encourage people to use them. I think some of the places we
> use them is just wrong.

Curious, but why? What alternative do you use? Using INTERNAL cache
variables tends to have weird effects since they then persist between
runs and if the variables aren't cleared at the start of configure
diligently, you get old values left laying around (and has caused bugs
in projects). Plus, updating them is easier since you don't have to keep
doing `set(var full_val CACHE INTERNAL "")` and you have nice things
like `set_property(GLOBAL APPEND)`.

--Ben